Attack beat Barrie again in pre-season action

The Owen Sound Attack made it a Labour Day sweep of the Barrie Colts with a come-from-behind 5-3 win on Monday, Sept. 4 to cap off a home and home weekend of exhibition action with their Highway 26 rivals.

Four straight goals by the Attack in the 3rd period brought them back from a 3-1 deficit to earn the victory, with Nick Pryce scoring twice in the comeback. Ethan Szypula and Sean Durzi both had three point efforts on the day, with single goals coming courtesy of Durzi, Matthew Struthers, and Chase Campbell.

The Colts got on the board early at the Molson Centre when Kyle Heitzner scored a shorthanded marker at the 10:56 mark of the first period.

Owen Sound was unable to get anything going in the first, despite being sent to the powerplay four times, and would head to the intermission leading the shots 11-8, but trailing the home team 1-0.

Barrie’s lead would double in the 2nd period on a goal by Andrei Svechnikov at the 10:15 mark of the middle stanza before Matthew Struthers picked up his 2nd goal in as many games off of a feed from Ethan Szypula with just over 4:00 remaining to play in the frame. Sean Durzi snagged the other assist on the play.

The Colts weren’t about to let Owen Sound eke any closer though, and with 1:18 to play before the break, Giordano Finoro restored the two goal lead and made it a 3-1 Barrie advantage heading into the 3rd.

Most of the final period had gone by without the Attack making any headway, but an offensive outburst beginning with 7:57 left in the game pulled the Bears level.

First, Sean Durzi would rip home a shot on the man advantage thanks to assists from Ethan Szypula and Alan Lyszczarczyk to bring Owen Sound to within just one goal.

Then, Chase Campbell would tie things up at three apiece, converting a 2-on-1 with Szypula with 7:35 to play in regulation. Lyszczarczyk picked up the other assist on the play, giving him four points in two pre-season games with his new team.

Owen Sound wasn’t done there either.

With only 3:08 to play in the game, Nick Pryce snapped home his first of the exhibition season to make it a 4-3 Attack lead, their first of the contest. Durzi and Trent Bourque picked up the helpers on the play, giving Durzi a three point outing alongside Szypula.

Pryce then capped off the comeback with an empty netter with just 1:23 left to play, making it four straight goals by Owen Sound to seal a 5-3 win.

Rookie netminder Mack Guzda made 29 stops in the win as the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finished at 35-32 for the Attack.

Owen Sound will play their next pre-season game on Wednesday, Sept. 13 when they head to Oshawa to take on the Generals in a 7:05pm contest.

The Attack’s next home game is slated for Saturday, Sept. 16 when the North Bay Battalion come to town for a 2:00pm contest.

Tickets for that game are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, while tickets for all regular season home games can also be purchased online at, or by calling 519-371-7452.

Attack Hockey is presented by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.



More News
Attack Alum Szypula Commits to Western Mustangs Men's Hockey Program
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Suzuki gets Hockey Canada Invite to World Junior Showcase
2 weeks ago
Attack Take German Defencemen Seider with 105th Pick
3 weeks ago
Attack Take Manuel Alberg 45th Overall in CHL Import Draft
3 weeks ago