Attack win barn burner over Ottawa

The Owen Sound Attack and Ottawa 67’s combined for 15 goals on Saturday, Feb. 17, with the Attack coming out on the positive side of a 9-6 game.

Nick Suzuki, Brady Lyle, Maksim Sushko, Markus Phillips, Kevin Hancock, Brett McKenzie, and Alan Lyszczarczyk all had multi point evenings on Saturday, with Suzuki leading the way thanks to two goals and two helpers in the win.

After scoring the final goal in Friday night’s win over Niagara, Daylon Groulx got the party started on Saturday night in Owen Sound.

After a thunderous hit by Jacob Friend sparked the Bayshore, Groulx waltzed down the left hand side before ripping his 9th of the season up and over Olivier Tremblay’s glove to make it 1-0 just 2:18 into the game.

Cole Cameron and Igor Chibrikov assisted on the play, which came just 15 seconds before Alan Lyszczarczyk doubled Owen Sound’s lead.

With Nick Suzuki controlling the puck in the corner to the left of the Ottawa goalie, Lyszczarczyk made a bee-line for the net and easily tapped in his 15th of the campaign.

The Bears weren’t done there either.

With 9:05 having elapsed in the 1st, Maksim Sushko found Brett McKenzie jumping off the bench and fed him a cross ice pass, allowing the overage forward to go hard to the net.

McKenzie’s initial shot was stopped by Tremblay, but he picked up his own rebound and quickly jammed it into the net to make it a 3-0 Owen Sound advantage.

Following the goal, the 67’s elected to replace Tremblay in net with Cedrick Andree after their starter made just four saves on seven Attack shots.

Andree was able to right the ship for the remainder of the frame, stopping all four shots he faced before the sides broke for the 1st intermission.

In fact, the goalie change seemed to spark a dormant Ottawa offence, and after making two stellar saves on the Attack early in the middle stanza, the 67’s were able get onto the board.

With 1:50 gone in the 2nd and with a scramble on top of the Owen Sound crease, Ottawa forward Graeme Clarke was able to tuck home his 13th of the year and make it a 3-1 contest.

Then, with 6:33 having elapsed in the period and the Attack trapped in their own end, Sasha Chmelevski made it a 3-2 game by tipping home a pass from Carter Robertson.

But Owen Sound had last Sunday’s collapse in Ottawa on their minds, and less than 60 seconds after the 67’s drew within one, the Bayshore Boys were back at it themselves.

A clean faceoff win by Nick Suzuki got the puck back to Markus Phillips at the point, who immediately blasted the puck to the net where Alan Lyszczarczyk was able to get his stick on the puck and tip it home for his 2nd of the night and a 4-2 Attack lead.

Owen Sound looked to increase that lead not long after as well, sustaining an unbelievable amount of pressure in the Ottawa zone.

Unfortunately, there didn’t seem to be any puck luck on their side and despite having control for over two minutes inside the 67’s blueline, it was the visiting team who was able to get the game’s next goal.

After barely being able to break out of their end, Ottawa’s Tye Felhaber carried the puck all the way down the ice and roofed his 24th of the year over Lafreniere to make it a 4-3 game – a score that would stand after 40 minutes of play.

Ottawa came out with some spark in the 3rd, eager to even things up, and that’s exactly what they did less than 3:00 into the frame.

Perched in front of the Attack net, Oliver True got his stick on a blast from the point and redirected it off the cross bar and in to tie things up at four.

That’s when Maksim Sushko decided to do things all himself, and with 4:39 gone in the 3rd, the Belorussian went coast to coast before dancing into the Ottawa slot and rifling his 27th of the year into the net to make it a 5-4 Attack lead.

Sushko’s goal held the score at that 5-4 margin until Kevin Hancock increased Owen Sound’s lead to 6-4 at the 12:39 mark of the frame by rifling an Alan Lyszczarczyk pass up and over Andree’s shoulder.

That goal opened the flood gates, if they weren’t already gaping.

Just 80 seconds after Hancock’s 17th of the year, Brady Lyle scored what would be the game winner when he ripped his 9th of the campaign into the back of the net with 6:19 to play in regulation.

Ottawa proceeded to tally the game’s next two goals, making it 7-5 when Austen Keating scored on a powerplay marker that saw the original shot bounce off the wall and onto his stick for the easy tap in.

Then, with the net empty and the 67’s putting on furious pressure, Travis Barron drew the visitors within one by sliding the puck through Olivier Lafreniere’s legs to make it a 7-6 game.

That was as close as Ottawa would get though, as two empty net goals by Nick Suzuki would wrap the game up and give the Attack a hard fought 9-6 win.

The Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finished at 39-32 for Owen Sound on the evening, with Lafreniere making 26 saves in the win.

Alan Lyszczarczyk was named the Mac Taylor Corporation 1st Star of the game, while Kevin Hancock earned 2nd star honours. Ottawa’s Tye Felhaber was named the game’s 3rd star in the loss, with Brett McKenzie wrapping up the post game awards by taking home the Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game.

Owen Sound is back in action on Monday in a 2:00pm game when they travel to Steel Town to take on the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Attack will play their next home game on Saturday, Feb. 24 for their REACH. Shoot. Score charitable initiative against the Peterborough Petes.

Puck drop is slated for 7:30pm and tickets are limited, but can be purchased at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.

More News
Dec. 15/18 - OS (6) - OTT (3)
1 day ago
Dec. 14/18 - OS (3) - KGN (0)
1 day ago
1 day ago
1 day ago
2 days ago
4 days ago