Attack win wild one in Peterborough

The Owen Sound Attack used a five point night from Aidan Dudas and a four goal third period to come from behind and kick start their Eastern Conference road trip with a 6-5 win over the Peterborough Petes on Thursday night.

Dudas, Ethan Szypula, and Maksim Sushko combined for 11 points on the evening with Dudas’ five point effort coming via a hat-trick and two helpers. Szypula supplied two goals on the evening as well, with Alan Lyszczarczyk rounding out the scoring for the Attack on the night.

Ethan Szypula got Owen Sound on the board early after weathering a Peterborough burst of energy that came via a penalty to Jackson Doherty.

The Bears got through it though, and just after the opening frame’s TV timeout, Szypula would tally his 8th of the season.

After Aidan Dudas broke down the right hand wall and fired the puck towards Dylan Wells in the Petes’ goal, Szypula crashed the net hard and made sure to get his stick on the loose puck. The overage forward connected with the puck, whistling just over Wells’ pad and into the net for a 1-0 Attack lead.

Maksim Sushko also assisted on the play, but Owen Sound was unable to gather any momentum from the goal.

Less than 2:00 later, Pavel Gogolev drew the home side level by snapping a shot from the slot up and over the glove hand of Olivier Lafreniere to reinvigorate the Mem Centre crowd.

That re-energized crowd paid dividends for the Petes in the 2nd period where they were able t0 grab their first lead of the game after a big Dylan Wells stop prompted a strong breakout for the home side just before the 5:00 mark of the middle stanza.

Logan DeNoble was able to spring Nikita Korosetelev who split Jacob Friend and Trent Bourque before breaking in on Lafreniere and making it 2-1.

Less than 30 seconds later though, Owen Sound was able to respond with the line of Dudas, Sushko, and Szypula going back to work.

Sushko dumped the puck in deep behind the Peterborough net to Szypula, who quickly one-touched a backhand pass to Dudas who was crashing the net.

The Parry Sound native made no mistake, burying his 24th of the season with 14:43 to play in the 2nd.

Goals were coming quickly in Peterborough though, and unfortunately for Owen Sound it was the Petes tickling the twine again – this time on a goal from DeNoble with Cole Cameron sitting in the box for holding.

And the home side wasn’t finished there, either.

Off a clean faceoff win by Christopher Paquette, Nick Robertson quickly ripped the biscuit into the Attack net, making it 4-2 for Peterborough, a score that would stand going into the 3rd.

After largely sleeping through the 2nd though, the Attack came out with some fire in their bellies’ in the 3rd and the apparent desperation paid off.

Less than a minute into the frame, Maksim Sushko unloaded on John Parker-Jones with a massive hit, allowing Ethan Szypula to poke the loose puck to Aidan Dudas, who weaved through the slot before beating Wells for the 2nd time on the night to make it 4-3.

That goal provided the spark that the Attack were looking for too, and the relentless pressure of the Bears waking from hibernation was evident.

Continuing the them of just one line scoring for the Bears, Dudas and Szypula would connect on yet another goal, this time with Dudas tallying his 2nd assist of the game en route to setting up Szypula’s 2nd goal of the game.

With 6:29 gone in the 3rd, Dudas grabbed a loose puck off of a draw to the left of Dylan Wells and stickhandled to the net before banking a backhander off of the post. Szypula was in the perfect spot though, and smacked the rebound into the yawning cage to make it 4-4.

Then, just five seconds later, Dudas made it rain hats by winning the centre-ice faceoff and immediately streaking into the Peterborough zone and ripping home a snapshot to make it a 5-4 Owen Sound lead.

But the Attack weren’t done there.

Scoring the 4th Owen Sound goal of the 3rd period was Alan Lyszczarczyk, who was able to get his stick on a Trent Bourque point shot with 7:37 to play in regulation to put the Attack ahead 6-4 after beginning the period down by a pair.

The Petes weren’t about to ride off into the sun quietly though.

Riding a nine game losing streak and desperate to win on home ice, captain Logan DeNoble scored just about two minutes after Lysczarczyk’s tally; taking advantage of a Trent Bourque tripping minor to bring his side within one and set up a frantic finish.

With 65 seconds left in the game, Peterborough pulled Dylan Wells in favour of the extra attacker. Then, with 38 ticks remaining on the clock, the Petes found themselves on a 6-on-4 after Maksim Sushko was whistled for tripping.

The two-man advantage was all for naught though, with the Attack weathering the Storm and holding for a massive third period comeback to start their road trip with a 6-4 victory.

Aidan Dudas’ five point night propelled him to Mac Taylor Corporation 1st Star honours, while his linemate Ethan Szypula’s four points was enough to earn him 2nd star of the game. Peterborough’s Logan DeNoble had three points on the game and was named the game’s 3rd star for his efforts.

Olivier Lafreniere turned aside 34 shots on the evening to pick up the win, with the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finishing at 40-39 in favour of the Attack.

Owen Sound continues their road trip on Friday night with a stop at the K-ROCK Centre in Kingston to take on the Frontenacs.

Game time is at 7:00pm and can be listened to on Kia of Owen Sound/Terry’s Trailer Service Bear Radio on 560 CFOS or by watching on Rogers Local 53.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.

More News
Attack fall to the Storm 5-2 in first meeting since Trade Deadline
6 hours ago
Attack players take the #10YearChallenge
18 hours ago
Joe Tomato's Weekend Preview - Trio of Games for Week 18
2 days ago
2 days ago
Peninsula Ford Plays Of The Week - Week 17
4 days ago
Jan. 9/19 - KIT (3) - OS (4)
4 days ago