Storm surge in 3rd to down Attack 7-2

After keeping things close for the first two periods, the Storm pulled away in the 3rd to defeat the Attack on homecoming night in Owen Sound.

It was an emotional night at the Bayshore as four former players made their return to Owen Sound. Nick Suzuki, Markus Phillips, and Zachary Roberts were all in the lineup for the Guelph Storm, ready to take on the team they played with for years. Sean Durzi also made the trip but was not dressed. After a pregame tribute that received a standing ovation from the Bayshore faithful, the two teams were ready to play.

Pregame Tribute Video:

Once the game began, former friends became foes and the two teams were ready to play. Kaleb Pearson had the first chance of the night after being set up by Aidan Dudas, but couldn’t finish the play. Guelph came back and Fedor Gordeev scored his 6th of the season on a screened Mack Guzda. It didn’t take long for the Attack to tie things up, just 4 minutes later Brady Lyle finished a pretty passing play from Sergey Popov and things were all square on the defenseman’s 11th of the season. The Storm ended the first ahead, after Nate Schnarr redirected a point shot from Owen Lalonde that trickled past Guzda for the 2-1 advantage.

Heading into the second trailing 2-1, Owen Sound did not want to give up the next goal. Unfortunately, Ty Collins beat Guzda on a tough angle, the Storm went ahead 3-1 and Andrew MacLean took over in the Attack net. After MacLean took over, the Attack started playing with a renewed fire. Since the trade deadline, Nolan Seed has been seeing more ice time on the power play and he took advantage of it tonight with a shot from the point that beat Nico Daws and cut the deficit to one. Owen Sound would end the period on a power play, hoping to tie things up early in the third. Shots on goal after the second were 26-13 in favour of Guelph.

The Attack began the 3rd on the power play, but couldn’t get anything past Daws and the Storm would strike soon after. Three quick goals in succession by Guelph including one from Nick Suzuki would put the Storm up 6-2 and Owen Sound into a deep hole. It was a hole they were unable to dig out of, eventually losing to the Storm 7-2.

The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game was Carter Robertson, returning to the lineup after missing the previous two to the flu. The Mac Taylor Corporation three stars were swept by Guelph, with Samorukov, Schnarr and Ratcliffe taking the honours.

Despite the loss, Owen Sound officially clinched a playoff spot after Windsor’s defeat in regulation to the Flint Firebirds.

The Attack are back in action Wednesday night at the Bayshore as they host the Barrie Colts. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.

This season of Attack hockey is presented by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers.

More News
Attack Teaming Up with Rotary Club of Owen Sound
1 day ago
Attack Coaching Staff to Return for 2019-2020 OHL Season
2 weeks ago
Mack Guzda wins Ivan Tennant Memorial Award for Top Academic High School Student
2 weeks ago
Pair of Attack Picks to Represent Canada at U16 Ball Hockey World Cup
1 month ago
8 Attack Picks Selected to OHL Gold Cup
1 month ago
Core Partners Group IPC Season Ticket Design Contest Returns
1 month ago