Attack Fall 3-0 To Rangers

The Owen Sound Attack were looking to stop a six game losing streak as they headed to Kitchener to meet the new look Rangers at the Aud. Kitchener relieved head coach Jay McKee of his duties earlier this week as general manager Mike McKenzie stepped in behind the bench. The Rangers entered tonight’s game having won in a shootout Thursday night against the Erie Otters. Attack goaltender Mack Guzda received the start for Owen Sound, while Owen Sound native Lucas Pfeil started between the pipes for the Rangers.

If Kitchener was tired from their trip to Erie the night prior, it didn’t show in the first two minutes of the game. After Liam Hawel drew a penalty, he converted on the power play almost immediately after to put the Attack in an early 1-0 hole. Guzda shut the door afterwards, stopping the next 12 Rangers shots en route to ending the period down 1-0. Owen Sound began to push back in the closing minutes of the frame, but Kaleb Pearson couldn’t beat Pfeil in the final 60 seconds. Shots on goal after the first twenty minutes were 13-6 in favour of the Rangers.

The Attack started out slow once again in the second period, with Kitchener having an early chance on a two on one that was only stopped by a stretching save from Guzda. Unfortunately, 3 minutes into the period the Kitcheners banged in a rebound to double their lead and put the Attack down 2-0. Owen Sound managed to keep the play tight through the period after allowing the goal, outshooting the Rangers by a healthy margin at one point. A delay of game call against the Bears swung the momentum back into Kitchener’s favour and Guzda remained solid in the Attack net to keep the deficit at only two. Owen Sound trailed 2-0 after two, with the shots on goal advantage remaining with the Rangers 24-14.

Owen Sound looked like a team determined to turn a losing streak around as they opened up the third period. Adam McMaster started out the frame with a solid rush into the Kitchener zone, but after having his glove slashed off he had to return to the Attack bench. Two and a half minutes into the period, Owen Sound went to their first power play of the game. The biggest chance for the Attack came when Kaleb Pearson shot the puck creating a big rebound. McMaster couldn’t get his stick fully on it and it went just wide of the Rangers goal. Owen Sound shut down the Rangers offense in the period, allowing only five shots in the period. Unfortunately, the Attack couldn’t solve Lucas Pfeil and he would go on to record his first career OHL shutout in the 3-0 defeat for Owen Sound. Final shots on goal were 29-24 for the Rangers.

The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player was Barret Kirwin. The Owen Sound Bug Juice North Stars Three Stars were Declan McDonnell, Riley Damiani and Lucas Pfeil.

The Owen Sound Attack are back in action tomorrow night for the first time in two weeks at the Bayshore. The Attack host the Saginaw Spirit at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the MacVicar & McComb Sutton Realty Attack Box Office.

More News
Nick Suzuki named to NHL All-Rookie Team
2 days ago
Aidan Dudas To Join Eisbaeren Berlin For 2020-21 Season
2 days ago
Attack Prospects Getting Attention Ahead Of NHL Draft
2 days ago
OHL Announces Key Dates for 2020-21 Season
6 days ago
Kia Alumni Spotlight: Liam Heelis
6 days ago
Tickets For Test Drives With Igor And Sergey
6 days ago