What a Saturday night at the Bayshore! Tonight, the Owen Sound Attack faced their southern Ontario rivals the London Knights for their second of three games this weekend.  Looking to continue their success after their 6-4 win in Oshawa last night, the Attack had a lot of momentum.  But so did London.

Zach Roberts, in his second game of the second since returning from an injury received in pre-season, got sent to the box early in the game. That only put more momentum in the Bears stride as Kevin Hancock puts in his 13th goal of the year, shorthanded, assisted by captain Nick Suzuki.

Three and a half minutes later, Aidan Dudas secures his 50th OHL career goal, assisted by Daylon Groulxl, to bring the Attack’s lead to 2-0.

Knights Riley Coombe and Owen Sound’s Griffin Wilson both headed to the box at 7:37 for unsportsmanlike conduct, bringing the game to 4-on-4 hockey.

Knights respond and get on the board 11:40 into the first as Jacob Golden scores his first goal of the season.  Golden’s play was assisted by Matthew Timms and Matvey Guskov.

Markus Phillips lands a penalty for holding and the Attack headed to another penalty kill. Kevin Hancock went for another shorthanded goal, missed and turned around to sneak the puck past Knights netminder Jordan Kooy. Hancock’s goal was assisted by Trent Bourque at 12:38.

The Knights once again responded quickly and got another point on the board when Cole Tymkin found the back of the net, assisted by Billy Moskal and Alex Turko and 16:25.

Zach Roberts and Andrew Perrott got into a tussle, and Roberts received 5 minutes for fighting and Perrott received 5 minutes plus a game misconduct.

Alex Turko headed to the box for slashing with 1:30 left in the first.

Mark McDade Chestnut Park shots on goal in the first were 18 for Attack and 10 for London.

The second period began with the Attack on the powerplay for 25 seconds but they were unable to find the back of the net that quick.

The Knights, trailing by 1, found their turbo button and scored two goals in 14 seconds to take the lead 4-3.  Both Josh Nelson and Dalton Duhart found the back of the net early in the second period.

Daylon Groulx got caught roughing and was sent to the box to send London to another powerplay.  Only 16 seconds later, Knights Tymkin and Attack’s Bourque both received unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.  No shorthanded goal this time.

After slashing on the faceoff, Cole Tymkin got sent to the box and the Attack headed to another powerplay.

Daylon Groulx ties the game up at 4 with his fifth goal of the season with 46 seconds left in the second period. Groulx’s goal was assisted by Hancock and Aidan Dudas.

Mark McDade shots on goal in the second period were 11 for the Attack, 13 for the Knights.

The third period started out with Zach Roberts and Knights Matvey Guskov heading to the box both for a roughing minor, sending the game to 4-on-4 hockey once again.

Attack headed to the penalty kill at 4:45 into the third as Markus Phillips was sent to the box for high sticking.  The Bears kill the penalty to keep it a tie game.
After Sergey Popov was sent to the box for tripping, the Attack headed to their fourth powerplay of the game, but they were unable to find the back of the net.

12:11 into the third, Maksim Sushko found the back of the net on a beauty pass from rookie Griffin Wilson to break the tie and get the Attack up by 1.

Bourque got sent to the box for slashing and then shortly after Knights Alec Regular was sent for holding.  The game went to 4-on-4 hockey and then a brief powerplay for the Attack.

With 13 seconds left in the game, Nathan Dunkley scores and ties it up again at 5-5, sending the game into overtime.

Multiple shots in overtime, but neither team can find the back of the net. We headed to a shootout.

Owen Sound’s assistant captain Kevin Hancock earned first star honours for his two shorthanded goals and one assist of the night.  Second star honours went to Knights Jacob Golden, with his first goal of the season and Attack’s Aidan Dudas earned the third star, with one goal and one assist in the game. Goaltender Mack Guzda stopped 39 shots in the game.

Daylon Groulx earned the Hatten Home Hardware Hardest Working Player of the Game, voted by the fans.

At the end of three plus overtime, Mark McDade Chestnut Park shots on goal were 44-35.

The Attack are back in action tomorrow afternoon in Hamilton when they take on the Bulldogs for their second match up of the season at the FirstOntario Centre, a 2:00PM puck drop.

This season of Attack Hockey is presented to you by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers.

More News
Burroughs and Goure on NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List for January
2 days ago
OHL Footprint: Captains in the NHL
3 days ago
13 Former Attack Players on NHL Opening Night Rosters
2 weeks ago
Attack Acquire Nikita Tiatinkin From IceDogs
3 weeks ago
Attack Organization Mourns The Loss Of Georgina McKelvie
3 weeks ago
Attack Hosting Virtual Coaches Forum
4 weeks ago