Complete Team Effort Propels Attack to Playoff Spot

It was just a matter of time, but the Owen Sound Attack can finally say they have clinched their ticket to the 2023 OHL Playoffs! The Attack had seven different goal scores propel them to a big 7-4 win over the Oshawa Generals Saturday night at the Bayshore, as the Bears snapped a four game skid.

The win not only clinched Owen Sound a spot in the playoffs, but also secured the team it’s 30th win of the season, marking the 12th consecutive season that the organization has accomplished the feat (one of only two CHL teams to maintain a streak that long).

As the Attack racked up the accomplishments off the ice, it took them just 14 seconds to start piling on the goals on the ice, as captain Colby Barlow continues his push for 50 sniping his 46th of the season off a nice little drop pass from Sam Sedley. Both teams came to play Saturday night, but for the first time in some games, the Attack were actually the faster team, as they were able to out pace the Generals for much of the first half of the opening period. In Oshawa’s case they seemed content to play a more physical game, as they laid the body on the Bears every chance they had. The hard hitting style eventually help Oshawa turn the period around as they were able to pull even at 2-2 heading into the intermission.

Owen Sound was able to use the break and recover their wits, as they came out in the second period once again out pacing┬áthe Generals. The speed in which the Attack played forced the Generals into some penalty trouble, and it was late in a power play when Nolan Seed slipped down the side boards from the point, before cutting his way to the front of the net and slipping the puck in the far post. Again the Generals played pesky and hung around, but Matthew Papais was able to restore the two goal lead shortly after the TV timeout firing home a perfect shot after Antonio Tersigni found him streaking up the wing in the neutral zone. Unfortunately, Owen Sound again saw their lead diminish, as Oshawa was able to make it a 4-3 game just a minute after Papais’ marker.

There were some tense moments early in period three, as the Attack found themselves in some penalty trouble. With Oshawa pressing for the equalizer, it was rookie goalie Carter George helping Owen Sound fend off the leagues top power play, as the kid was cool and collected all night. The flood gates finally burst open for the high flying Attack late in the game, as Tersigni after being credited with his first career goal following the game Wednesday night in North Bay, banged home a Seed wrap-around attempt for his second of the season, restoring the two goal lead. It was then the trio of Papais, Tersigni and Servac Petrovsky just under three minutes later, as Petrovksy batted a rebound out of mid-air to stretch the Owen Sound lead to 6-3. The late game offence continued as rookie Ben Cormier fired home his second of the year, after some nice work by Ethan Burroughs and Cedrick Guindon. The Generals would net one more before the final buzzer, but the Bears had done their job and clinched a playoff spot with the convincing 7-4 win.

Having secured their playoff spot, Owen Sound will now look to use the momentum from Saturday night’s big win to improve their playoff positioning with just seven games left on the season. The Attack will be in action next Wednesday night as they welcome the Flint Firebirds to the Bayshore. Tickets for the game can be purchased at the MacVicor and McComb Sutton Realty Attack Box Office by calling 519-371-7452 or going online.

More News
Shorthanded Attack take 6-4 Win in Flint
16 hours ago
OHL Highlights: Mar. 24/23 - OS (1) - SAR (4)
20 hours ago
Attack Can't Cool Off Sting in 4-1 Loss
2 days ago
Week 24 - Peninsula Ford Plays of the Week
4 days ago
5 days ago
Attack Limp into Final Weekend of Regular Season
5 days ago