Generals Edge Out Attack 4-3 In Overtime In A Family Day Thriller

Owen Sound held two leads against Oshawa, but couldn’t hold on as the Generals scored late to tie it up and converted on a power play opportunity in overtime to take the extra point.

In what seems like a Family Day tradition at this point, the Owen Sound Attack visited the Durham Region to meet the Oshawa Generals on Monday afternoon in a battle between contending teams in the East & West. Oshawa has been surging since acquiring Philip Tomasino at the trade deadline, including a 5-4 victory over Owen Sound in January while the Attack come into the game on a mini slump, losing their last two contests after previously winning four in a row. Mack Guzda looked to return the Bears to winning ways in the Attack net while Jordan Kooy received the start for the Generals. Leading scorer Sergey Popov would miss the game due to sickness and Sam Sedley returned to the lineup in an 11F/7D configuration.

The Generals started out the first period strong, led by Tomasino and Brett Neumann. They received an early power play after Aidan Dudas got called for a cross-checking minor, but Owen Sound was able to kill it off and return to even strength. Near the halfway mark, Oshawa led the game in shots 7-1. Things would change as the Attack got their own time on the man advantage. Mitchell Brewer went to the box for interference and Barret Kirwin capitalized. Dudas fired the puck wide, but the rebound ended up on Kirwin’s stick and he blasted it past Kooy for his 24th of the year and a 1-0 lead. Owen Sound had three more power play chances in the period, but were unable to convert and would head to the intermission up 1-0 on the scoreboard and up 10-7 on the shots on goal.

The second period was a tale of two halves. Owen Sound held the majority of the possession for the first ten minutes, while Oshawa turned it on for the second. The Attack got off to a hot start, recording the first four shots of the period looking to extend their lead, but they would go to a penalty kill at the five minute mark. Seconds after Mark Woolley stepped out of the penalty box, he left the puck for Dudas. Dudas found a streaking Brady Lyle in the offensive zone where he ricocheted a puck off a stick in front of Kooy and into the back of the net. Owen Sound led 2-0, but Oshawa took control after the TV timeout. The Generals recorded the first six shots after the break and Ryan Gagnier would be the one to finally solve Guzda after extended time in the Attack zone. Less than two minutes later, Lleyton Moore scored his 3rd of the season with a rocket over the shoulder of the Attack netminder and the game would be tied 2-2 heading into the 3rd. Shots on goal were 24-20 for the Genearls.

If Owen Sound was on their back foot to end the second, they turned things around to begin the third. After relinqushing the lead, Head Coach Alan Letang must have delivered an inspiring speech at intermission to rejuvenate his team. Owen Sound started the period with pressure that eventually turned into a goal. Aidan Dudas pressured Tomasino on a clearance attempt that Matthew Struthers was able to snag down. He fired a fluttering puck at the Oshawa net and it found its way past Kooy for his 21st of the season and a 3-2 lead. The Generals were desperate to find the tying goal, but Mack Guzda was standing tall in the crease to deny them the opportunities. With under four minutes to play, Collingwood native Allan McShane powered towards the net and made a move to get the puck from his skate to his stick and eventually to the back of the net to tie the game at 3 apiece. Neither team threatened at the end of the game and they would each pick up a point and head to overtime looking for a second. Shots on goal after 60 were 30-30.

Overtime began with the Attack taking a penalty, going into a very scary 4 on 3 disadvantage for two minutes of the extra frame. Guzda made a tremendous save to extend the game, but Brett Neumann would score seconds later to seal the extra point for the Generals in overtime.

Matthew Struthers was voted the Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game. The Owen Sound Bug Juice North Stars Three Stars were Aidan Dudas, Lleyton Moore and Brady Lyle.

The Attack return to action with a two game home set against the Erie Otters next weekend at the Bayshore. The first game is Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. followed by a 2 p.m. game on Sunday afternoon. Tickets are available at the MacVicar & McComb Sutton Realty Attack Box Office and online.

More News
Friday Night Hockey: Owen Sound at Mississauga (May 15, 2011)
3 days ago
Lyle, Dudas & Woolley Earn Honours in 2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll
4 days ago
How The Attack Prepare For The OHL Draft
5 days ago
A Thank You To Our Overage Trio
6 days ago
2020 OHL Playoffs & Memorial Cup Cancelled
6 days ago
Despite Pause On Season, Attack Looking Forward To The Draft
7 days ago